Traveling to Places Less Traveled - Ulm, Germany


I like visiting small cities that are not "worthy" of tourist pilgrimage. The ones that live their quiet lives, at least on the grand scale, unnoticed by the world, by social media plague. Their landmarks don't chase you in your instagram feed and they still have room for surprise. And yes, maybe you won't encounter anything extraordinary on their premises but the element of expectations plays a huge role. When your expectations are high, chances of disappointed are high respectively. But when you got none - you have nothing to lose! Instead, the phenomenon of the "unknown, unseen, unheard of" creates this magic, adventurous mood.

My foot would probably never cross Ulm and I doubt I would even get to know it existed, weren't it for my sister who lives there. My sister lives and works in Ulm, Germany. So I became a by-chance-tourist in this city.



I've learnt these cool facts about Ulm:

1. It is the birthplace of Albert Einstein! Figured that looking for souvenirs - Einstein's head was everywhere! ☺ I got myself a cup saying:
"Woher kommt es, das mich niemand versteht und jeder mag?" (How come nobody understands me, but everybody likes?) 
2. There is Airbus Defence and Space site in Ulm, a big one, with approx 3,000 employees.

3. Sparrow is the symbol of Ulm and there is a legend that sparrow carrying a straw once enlightened the people of Ulm how to solve a construction problem.
Statues and images of sparrows are all over the city. They are embellished with different paints and patterns and look really cool! If I lived there, I would create a fun game where participants solve puzzles, search for clues in order to locate all sparrows in the city center.



I will remember Ulm not only because of Albert or dozens of artsy sparrows. 

I will remember picturesque Fishermen's Quarter and adorable restaurant where I ate one of the best trouts I've ever had.
I will remember weeping willows spreading their branches all over the city.
I will remember beautiful violet sunset and our stroll by the riverside.
I will remember riding the big wheel at the city fair, fireworks and cotton candy.

You don't need to have lots of money and to travel to fancy destinations to be a traveller. You can find beauty and adventure in the places near you, in the places far from hyped touristy destinations. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So true.














  • , , ,

    CONVERSATION

    1 comments:

    1. Thanks for the information which is shared by you I hope you will share more words on airport parking heathrow which is beneficial for every reader.

      ReplyDelete